Deliverance: the process of carrying and turning over (letters, goods, etc.) to the intended recipient or recipients: to deliver mail to a mailbox; to deliver a package to a doorstep: to relinquish something that you own into another’s possession or keeping; to surrender or to give away.
Deliverance from sin starts the moment you say, “Lord, I repent from my lifestyle of sin and I surrender it to you.”
Once you surrender or give Jesus the sin that is inside of you (because you were born IN sin and shaped in iniquity), he COMPLETELY takes it out of your possession, (owns it for himself), and furthermore, Jesus literally BECOMES your sin, then he nails it (as well as himself) to the cross.
• Jesus personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds we are healed. – 1 Peter 2:24
• You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by triumphing over them at the cross. – Colossians 2:13-15
But that’s not it! In exchange, he surrenders or gives away his righteousness to you. (Now you own his righteousness. It BELONGS to you. It BECOMES you. For by faith in Christ, we ARE the righteousness of God.)
• God made Jesus who had no sin in him to BE sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. – 2 Corinthians 5:21
• He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification. -Romans 4:25
As you can see here, a 2-way deliverance has to take place:
1. We deliver our sin to Jesus and he receives it unto himself.
2. Jesus delivers his grace to us and it’s our job to receive it for ourselves.
Jesus is faithful to receive our sins from us. But it is possible that we don’t receive the forgiveness that he has for us. We must RECEIVE his grace in order for the second part of deliverance to be made complete. We receive it simply by His amazing grace and through our FAITH. Not by works, that we may boast (Ephesians 6:8-9). And inside the package of grace is his forgiveness.
When God sees you now, he doesn’t see the sin that you’ve been struggling with. All he sees is a person that is completely covered from head to toe in the perfect blood of his son. All God sees when he looks at you is Jesus. Because of the fact that you have exchanged lives with Christ, no longer you live but Christ lives in you (Galatians 2:20).
You have become a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17), because you have died to your old man, and your new life is now hidden in God in Christ (Colossians 3:3).
You may not FEEL delivered from your sin right away, but it’s not about what you feel. Feelings are an illusion. Feelings come from the flesh, and the flesh profits you nothing (John 6:63). Feelings are like opinions, and they are subject to change. Even Jeremiah 17:9 says your heart is deceitful and desperately wicked above all things, who can know it? Your heart will deceive you into thinking that you are not delivered because of what you feel. That’s why it’s not about what you feel, it’s about what you KNOW. And what you know, is that the Word of God says you are free. And because the Word of God is TRUTH and unchangeable, if you know, believe and accept the truth, you will be free indeed (John 8:32).
• This is how we will know that we belong to the truth and how we will be reassured in his presence. Whenever our conscience condemns us, we will be reassured that God is greater than our conscience and knows everything.1 John 3:19-20
You will know for sure when you are delivered from your struggle because something in you, (not something, but God), will confirm it to you. God in you will cause you to accept that fact that you are delivered. There will be no more confusion or double-mindedness about it. Even though temptation will still come to you from time to time, you will have a made up mind and a firm belief in your deliverance through Christ Jesus. When you get to the point that you know — that you know — that you know — that you are delivered, THAT, my brothers and sisters, is the evidence of your faith that you received what Christ has done for you on the cross.